On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, Blake Watson wrote:
I've also tried putting in "[1]" or "1" in the map rather than my
spreadsheet name. I don't see in all this how the spreadsheet name in Excel
comes out as "[1]" in POI.

That's just how Excel stores it for XLSX files. The link table provides the mapping between those indexes and the names shown in Excel. When POI hits one of those, it goes to the link table to find the name of the file, then checks for a setup referenced workbook with that name to resolve things with

Take a look at TestXSSFFormulaEvaluation method testReferencesToOtherWorkbooks() + referenced test files for how it ought to work

7. Vall evaluatorFormulaCell on the cell checked in step 3 and get:
IllegalArgumentException Invalid sheetIndex: -1.
org.apache.poi.ss.formula.SheetRefEvaluator.<init>
(SheetRefEvaluator.java:36)

That doesn't look like the normal error for missing linked workbooks, so there might be a bug

Can you create two very simple workbooks, both with 2 sheets, one with a handful of data cells in, the other with your formula, which shows the problem? If so, please upload them to bugzilla along with a small junit unit test, and we'll take a look

Nick