So, I've got this working now, thanks again. When I did my simple test, I
noticed that a formula evaluator (which is documented as keeping "a cache
of all previously calculated intermediate cell values") actually keeps ALL
values around, whether they were calculated or just entered. So, if I did
the process in this order:

1. Create the evaluator for wb1
2. Change a value in wb1
3. Evaluate wb2 (which references wb1)

Values in wb2 would be calculated as though step 2 had never taken place.

If true, that's potentially very useful and worth documenting. (In my case,
it means I can keep formula evaluators cached as references without caring
whether other threads might change the base workbooks for their own
purposes.)