PredictionIO is scalable BY SCALING ITS SUB-SERVICES. Running on a single
machine sounds like no scaling has been executed or even planned.

How do you scale ANY system?
1) vertical scaling: make the instance larger with more cores, more disk,
and most importantly more memory. Increase whatever resource you need most
but all will be affected eventually.
2) move each service to its own instance. Move the DB, Spark, etc (depends
on what you are using) Then you can scale the sub-service (the ones PIO
uses) independently as needed.

Without a scaling plan you must trim your data to fit the system you have.
For instance save only a few months of data. Unfortunately PIO has no
automatic way to do this, like a TTL. We created a template that you can
run to trim your db by dropping old data. Unfortunately we have not kept up
with PIO versions since we have moved to another ML server that DOES have
TTLs.

If anyone wants to upgrade the template it was last used with PIO 0.12.x
and is here: https://github.com/actionml/db-cleaner

If you continually add data to a bucket it will eventually overflow, how
could it be any other way?