i think there is a philosophical discussion:
1) as PIO user, should i collect my event data based on my application
uniqueness and ML needs (of course, i can use the template format as
reference), then create engine or modify engine template to use these data
to train model
or
2) as PIO user, because i'm using this specific engine template, i must
import and transform my data into the exact format required by template,
and send to event server in order to make it work.

however, regardless of above, PIO event server currently supports "event
blocker" and "event sniffer" to solve these issues you mentioned
1) "event blocker" can be used for "event validation in real time" - the
engine template can provide a sample event blocker implementation and can
be used to reject improper events.

2) "event sniffer" can be used for "forwarding specific event to other
processing system in real time" - the engine template can also provide a
sample sniffer (e.g. send to UR's elasticsearch to update meta data)

for advanced user, they can modify these based on their application needs
(say, if they have multiple engines). for starter, they may use out of the
box along with template.

see
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-predictionio-dev/201706.mbox/%3CCAF_HxLtEonOVALSQgrCRGXctAbL7eypxwG0ErHpaBJJym15j5Q%40mail.gmail.com%3E