Hi Brian

Thank you for the fast response!

1.) Although I already did some research in the internet, I did not found
explicit plugins or hints for 'Shiro' 'Vaadin' and 'Tab'. Perhaps I have to
search again with different keywords. I will do this today once again.
2.) This user (person) is always the same one, but his account could (not
must) be different. For example, the user edits a template in the
application as an Admin and wants to see the result as a 'normal' user that
has restricted access. Its much easier to open two tabs with different user
accounts than just use one tab and always logout one user and then login
with the other one. Another example is when changing some settings in the
application and immediately wants to monitor the result. Opening two tabs
(under the same account) showing two different UIs is much easier than
always switching between the different UI's inside one tab. There are much
more examples that simplify the workflow when a user can independently login
into multiple tabs, like multi-client capability, where a user can select
his actual processing client. And so on...

I always thought about holding different subjects (principal, authenticated
flag) inside the session by SubjectDAO and then picking the right one by my
extended SubjectContext. Your hint with the SessionManager is indeed a
different approach than mine, but it sounds really interesting and also
easier at the end. I want to follow your approach, but could you please
explain me your idea a bit more in detail. Is your idea about creating a new
session in the SessionManager for each tab? I'm not so deep into the whole
session management of Shiro's SessionManager. To be honest, until shortly
before I never thought about extending Shiro's functionality by myself at
all...I was just a simple user who wrotes his own Realm classes for Shiro
:-)

I would be really glad to get some more details about your idea.
In the meantime I will read once again the Shiro documentation about the
SessionManager, to get a bit more into that.

Regards,
Michi

Brian Demers wrote