Ongen:

I don't know why your process is hanging, sorry.  But I do know that the
way saveAsTextFile works is that you give it a path to a directory, not a
file.  The "file" is saved in multiple parts, corresponding to the
partitions. (part-00000, part-00001 etc.)

(Presumably it does this because it allows each partition to be saved on
the local disk, to minimize network traffic.  It's how Hadoop works, too.)