That is confusing based on the context you provided.

This might take more time than I can spare to try to understand.

For sure, you need to add Spark to run it in/on the HDP 2.1 express VM.

Cloudera's CDH 5 express VM includes Spark, but the service isn't running by
default.

I can't remember for MapR...

Marco