Hi,
we are using avro with compression(snappy). As soon as you have enough
partitions, the saving won't be a problem imho.
in general hdfs is pretty fast, s3 is less so
the issue with storing data is that you will loose your partitioner(even
though rdd has it) at loading moment. There is PR that tries to solve this.