Well, this depends onto the aspects of the measurements.

You may for example define a topology consisting of a spout, transformation
bolt and sink that receives byte arrays from Kafka, transforms them and
outputs. The nice thing is that you’d be able to control for the size of the
messages.

In addition, if you care about the performance in conjunction to stateful
operations such as aggregations, your topology might look alike the for example
WordCount topology.

Regards,
Dominik