> 1- What do you mean "able to control message size"? Is it max-pending-spout
> parameter?

By using for example Kafka as your source of information of the benchmark
topology, you may produce i.e. control the size of messages in terms of bytes
length. Why would you want to do this? Because there is a relation between
certain performance characteristics such as throughput and message size.

> Is there any published benchmark like this old-one here:

As far up to my knowledge, no. However, we at the Web Information Systems
research group of the Delft University of Technology are currently in the
process of benchmarking several streaming engines (including Storm) part of an
empirical research. If you’d like to here more about the insight so far
gathered, feel free to email me.