I'll just leave the answer here, maybe someone will find it useful in the
future.

It seems that OpenJDK requires procfs and fdescfs to be mounted. But
FreeBSD (at least v.10.x) itself doesn't use/need these fs', and Java
doesn't throw any errors on those fs' missing either.
Anyway, executing these commands will fix the issue:
mount -t fdescfs fdesc /dev/fd
mount -t procfs proc /proc

Regards,
Nazar