Thanks Arun, that explains a lot.

________________________________
wangchunc...@outlook.com

From: Arun Mahadevan<mailto:ar...@apache.org>
Date: 2017-08-11 17:50
To: Wijekoon, Manusha<mailto:manusha.wijek...@citi.com>
CC: user@storm.apache.org<mailto:user@storm.apache.org>
Subject: Re: is stateful bolts production ready?
If you want to use the provided state implementations, you don’t need to do any
of what you mentioned. You bolt would be initialed with its last know state in
“initState” and the bolt can keep updating the state in “execute". The
framework will automatically save the state to the state backend periodically.
See StatefulTopology[1] for example.

Right now Storm supports Redis and Hbase as state backends. If you are want
your own state backend, you need to implement the  get/put/delete and the logic
for prepare/commit/rollback etc. See Hbase[2] and Redis[3] state
implementations to get a better idea. Anyways I don’t think Kafka would be
ideal as a KV state backend since its not easy to do KV lookups without loading
all the data into memory or you put some KV store on top of it.

>In addition to the query, what is the intent of stateful bolt since we can
>just hold state in bolt instance?

It mostly automates what you would have to implement otherwise and also ensures
that the state is saved consistently across the whole topology (i.e. If you
have multiple bolts with state, all of their states are saved in an atomic
manner).

Thanks,
Arun

[1]