I think you need to give the FQCN for SleepSpoutWaitStrategy instead of an
instance, since the config must be serializable to JSON, a little surprised
you don't get an error when you submit that topology. If you're using the
default wait strategy, you can just leave out the
TOPOLOGY_SPOUT_WAIT_STRATEGY part.

Here's what works for me (based on the word count topology in
storm-starter):

builder.setSpout("spout", new RandomSentenceSpout(), 5)
        .addConfiguration(Config.TOPOLOGY_SPOUT_WAIT_STRATEGY, new
TestWait().getClass().getName())

.addConfiguration(Config.TOPOLOGY_SLEEP_SPOUT_WAIT_STRATEGY_TIME_MS,
60_000);

where TestWait is just an inner class like this (purely so I can print the
configuration, normally I'd just use the built in wait strategy)

public static final class TestWait extends SleepSpoutWaitStrategy {

        @Override
        public void prepare(Map<String, Object> conf) {
            super.prepare(conf);
            LogManager.getLogger(getClass()).error("The sleep backoff is
{}", conf.get(Config.TOPOLOGY_SLEEP_SPOUT_WAIT_STRATEGY_TIME_MS));
        }

  }

When I run the topology I get the following in the log:
2017-08-15 18:11:56.596 o.a.s.s.WordCountTopology$TestWait main [ERROR] The
sleep backoff is 60000