From: Roshan Naik <roshan_n...@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2018 1:09 PM
To: user@storm.apache.org
Subject: Re: Disable backpressure in Storm 2.0

Short answer:
It is not possible to disable backpressure in 2.0 and you don't want to do it
either.

Long Answer:
That setting applies to the 1.0 backpressure subsystem (zookeeper based) which
is layered on top of the messaging system. Storm 2.0 has a new messaging
subsystem and a very lightweight backpressure model that is tightly integrated
into the messaging subsystem (with no ZK or other external dependencies).

WRT why you don't want to disable it...   If you disable backpressure & allow
upstream components to blindly pump out messages, then you are left with two
options to handle a BP situation. To hold the excess messages, you could allow
the internal queues to keep growing in an unbounded fashion, in which case the
worker process will die with an OOM exception relatively quickly. The other
option is to keep the queues bounded and drop messages once queues are full.
Both options are bad options.

In Storm 1.x you could disable the BP system (default) and fallback on
topology.max.spout.pending as an alternative BP model (if acking is enabled).
If ACKing was disabled and BP is also disabled it is easy to crash the workers.

Any reason you are looking to disable BP ?

-roshan

On Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 7:42:29 PM PDT, ravi kiran puttaswamy