What does the code for your kryo serializer look like?  Are you sure that
it is not returning null?  Kryo will only be used to serialize if your
tuple is crossing worker boundaries; when you have 1 worker everything is
more or less passed by reference (through some queues and whatnot, but it
does not get serialized).  Since you are using custom serializer, I would
take a look at those first.