I have not used Trident, but I think the metrics should be handled the same
for trident bolts as normal rich bolts.  You can confirm that the metrics
bolt is there by looking in the storm ui.  Click on the topology and go
down to the bottom of the page and click on "Show System Stats" and it will
show you the metrics consumers under the list of bolts.  Executed, Acked,
Process Latency and Execute Latency are non-zero values for me for my 3
metrics consumers.

Hopefully that helps a little.  Even if you did not register any metrics
you should see the built in metrics for each bolt and spout so I'm not sure
why you don't see any (assuming you are using the default 60s interval for
the built in metrics).