True. But even if you use the include directive, you can't split your tags. For
example, try:

split.jsp:
----------
<%@ page contentType="text/plain" %>

<%@ include file="splitHeader.jspf" %>
Body
<%@ include file="splitFooter.jspf" %>

splitHeader.jspf:
-----------------
<jsp:useBean id="now" class="java.util.Date">
Header

splitFooter.jspf:
Footer
</jsp:useBean>

Results in the following with TC 5.0.27:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /split.jsp(3,0) /splitHeader.jspf(1,46)
Unterminated &lt;jsp:useBean tag

D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>