Does anyone know how to do this or why it does not work?

Both these methods would be called from an action class.

Function void useMyForm(ActionForm form){
SomeFormClass myForm = new SomeFormClass();
myForm.setName("Blah");
myForm.setAge("289");
etc...

form = myForm;
}

When I get to the jsp the fields are not populated with the form
variables
.
why does this not work  but  the following way does.

Function void fillInForm(ActionForm form){
SomeFormClass myForm = (SomeFormClass)form;
myForm.setName("Blah");
myForm.setAge("289");
etc...

}

Using this "normal" way when I get to the jsp the fields are populated
with the form variables.

How can a use something similar to the first method?

I am he, as you are he, as you are me, and we are all together.