Lukasz,

There is no new keys in the hash map. The hash map is not updated at all.
Before the form is displayed to the user, the hash map is populated based on
the data in the database. These values are
correctly displayed to the user in the text fields. But when the form is
submitted by the user the data doesn't get populated in the hash map. Only the
data I have populated in the hash map is present
(as the model class is stored in session using scope interceptor) doesn't
matter what values I type in the text fields.

Yasser,  That is right the key is a string, not long.

Also as I was testing this (having keys with and with out hyphen) I realized
that any values that I have added to hash map before showing the form are still
in the map. The new values from the form
(keys without hyphen) got added to the hash map. I was under the impression
that struts would set a new hash map with just the keys present in the form.

Thanks,
Prasanth