As far as I know, there are no references to other packages/modules from the
/struts2 directory so copying it over to an isolated repository should work
just fine.

Curious... with a separate repository, how would you submit a PR to intellij with an
updated version? Do you think they review/accept a version from another repository or
would you have to copy code over to the "intellij-obsolete-plugins" repository
prior to submitting for every update?

Thanks,
Burton