I wouldn't bet on PHP being more popular than Java webapps.

I think that there will be more smaller Java webapps if there were much support for them at web hosting companies.
I know several cases when Java webapp programmers, had to use PHP to
make some smaller webapps for someone because most web hosting companies offer PHP support but they have no
Java webcontainers installed.

Tamas

Yan Hu wrote:

Xu:
One of the reasons why you see a lot of PHP apps is that there are always a lot
more small apps
than large scale ones. I can not imagin you program a large scale site using
PHP. If you are an OO
guy, I could hardly imagin you even would like PHP(mixing all server side code
with html code).
There are a lot of java intranet applications you will never be able to access.
PHP has its niche
in the small app domain. It is fine. But it will never be at the same level as
Java. I do not
understand why you think PHP is more popular than Java. Let me ask you one
simple question. Why
are there so many more java jobs than PHP jobs? Anyone will tell you it is
because there is a lot
more demand for java. So you get the idea. With the advent of JSF, Java will be
even sexier. I
have long wished for something like asp.net code behind in C#. Now we have JSF
code behind in
Java. If asp.net can be a big success, why can't JSF?