It just testing-code and does not make much sense. but here we go.
I had a list before .. so the map is constructed from the list.

--- code ---
    public static List<String> countryCodes = new ArrayList<String>(
            Arrays.asList(
            "de", "en", "it"
            ));

    public static Map<String,String> countryMap = null;

    public static Map getCountryMap() {
        if (countryMap == null) {
            countryMap = new HashMap<String,String>();
            for (String s : countryCodes) {
                countryMap.put(s,s);
        return countryMap;
    }