This was an issue in 2.0.6 and it is fixed on 2.0.7:

As Dave mentioned in 2.0.6 the autocompleter was expecting an array of
arrays. Now the autocompleter will use the following logic to determine how
to load the data:

1. If the response is an array, use it
2. If the response is an object, and has a field  that matches the
"dataFieldName" attribute in the autocompleter, use it.
3. If the response is an object, and has a field that starts with the "name"
of the autcompleter use it
4. If a field of type array is found, use it

so the following cases will work:

public class MyAction {
  private String[][] states;  //data here
}

<s:autocompleter dataFieldName="states" ..> // #2
<s:autocompleter name="state" ..>  //#3
<s:autocompleter ...> //#4

regards
musachy

On 3/17/07, Dave Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--- Rohit Dewan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> However, the autocompleter is blank after load.
>
> Has anyone had success using the JSON plugin with
> the autocompleter?

I'm getting a JavaScript error:

[Exception... "'Error: TypeError:
this.data[x][0].toLowerCase is not a function' when
calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]"
nsresult: "0x8057001c
(NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_JS_OBJECT)" location:
"<unknown>" data: no]

(I'm also doing this in JSP w/o the workaround you're
using.)

The <s:autocompleter.../> tag docs says that input
data must be in the format

[["foo":"bar"],
["baz":"quux"]]

though, so... I don't know if it will work with the
default JSON plugin, and if true that would also imply
that you could only load one autocompleter per JSON
Action rather than lumping a bunch together (if you
wanted to) and the tag would grab the appropriate data
by the tag's "name" attribute.

d.