I did look at JSF/Seam/Shale and other web frameworks before I decided to use
Struts2.
There were several reasons for my decision and I have not regret it since now.

After many years of web development an action based framework like s2 for me
is much more "natural" than a component based approach.

I think I am much more productive with s2. If someone wants tooling support
and a visual designer, maybe it would be better to look at JSF. But in my
oppinion there is missing a good framework for JSF. (No, I do not think that
JSF is a framework - it is a technology).

Shale is a good start, but has a long way to go. Seam is too much coupled with
JBoss/Hibernate for my feeling.

Visual Web Editor and from the netbeans project is nice - but IMHO not suited
for bigger projects. I really came to the conclusion that JSF is nice for
small projects with a few pages and if you really want a desktop-like
development approach.

I am sure there are many other opinions out there, but more cents are always
good ;-)

Piero