Thanks Dave --

Perhaps if I explain this in a different context we can arrive at the
optimum solution.  To begin, I am writing a generic CRUD where all my
results are complex "tiles" pages.  I have a single Action that handles each
of the CRUD user gestures as follows:

       <action name="course_*" method="{1}" class="course">
           <result name="input"      type="tiles">{1}Course.page</result>
           <result name="list"         type="tiles">{1}Course.page</result>
           <result name="add"        type="tiles">{1}Course.page</result>
           <result name="show"      type="tiles">{1}Course.page</result>
           <result name="edit"
type="tiles">{1}Course.page</result>
           <result name="destroy"   type="tiles">{1}Course.page</result>

       </action>

After trying several techniques to prepare the tiles using S2 and falling
short, I then shifted my concentration to the Tiles ViewPreparer to perform
the tiles setup.  From that vantage point, is was even worse!  Actions work
with beans/OGNL in a custom tag friendly way; tiles does not.  The
ViewPreparer works fine for stashing collections of beans in the request
scope and then manually working them into the JSP.  What I nearly have
working is the attached workflow.

Examples to better understand graphic

hyperlink=course_add
method=add() in CourseAction
result=add from add() in CourseAction
tile=addCourse.page
tile <form> action=course_save() in CourseAction