Yes you are right,

Even though action attribute doesnt get evaluated
value attribute does,

but that is of no use as it does not create the URL
string to suite with Portal env.

The biggest concern is why the action attrbute of URL
tag doesnt evaluate.

that is following doesnt work

 <s:url  id="url"  action="%{courseName}">

                   </s:url>

but this does but no point as it doesnt render the url
as per portal requirement

<s:url  id="url3"  value="%{courseName}">

</s:url>

That is why I would like to call this as a bug-not
evaluating the action attribute of url tag