I have tested uPortal 2.5 and 2.6RC and from what I can see, clicking
"maximize" on the portlet window is for some reason treated as
"restore" (normal) in uPortal for all portlets (not only S2 portlets).
It might be that the "focus" icon/mode is supposed to be the
"maximized" state? You could try to programatically set the window
state to maximized and see if the behaviour is as expected, but from
what I can see this is probably a uPortal (naming?) issue. But if you
can create an example that illustrates that this is a S2 problem, and
attach it to a jira issue, I'll look into it more detailed.

I also read in the reply to your post in the uPortal users mailing
list that there might be some issues with the window state handling in
uPortal: https://lists.wisc.edu/read/messages?id=1976749

Nils-H