Yes in theory you are correct, but in side a S2
portlet (which  implements ServletRequestAware
interface) if you try to get a handler for
HttpServletRequest object via the setServletRequest
method it basically gives null.

How we make a handler for the HttpServletRequest
object is as follows,

PortletRequest portletRequest
=PortletActionContext.getRequest();

 request = (HttpServletRequest) portletRequest;

there were lot of other things we had to do
differently, but for all we got some solution.

I thing this is a seperate discussion alltogether why
it doesnt work like a web application etc?

hope this helps