It appears that planetstruts.org's demo pages suffer the same problem.  See
anything wrong there with their examples?
http://www.planetstruts.org/struts2-showcase/tags/ui/timepicker/

I'll take a look in firebug too.  Thanks -- I hadn't used that before.

dojoType="struts:StrutsTimePicker"

instead of using

dojoType="dropdowndatepicker"

Does that make any sense that it would be a completely different dojoType
that belongs to some struts library instead of to the dojo code?  Just seems
a little strange to me.