A couple of things strike me as really odd about this.

First: why are you creating HTML using strings in Java code? The whole
point of JSPs was to avoid doing exactly that. You should either make
use of .jsp files and the logic tags in Struts [1] or just use regular
servlets if you really want to manually compose HTML.

Second, why is your test environment different from your production
environment? That sort of defeats the purpose of testing, since you can
no longer rely on the fact that something you tested works.

That said, chances are pretty good that you're getting null from that
line because the HTTP request represented by the request object didn't
have a parameter called "actionSelection". I suggest you stick in a
breakpoint and have a look at the contents of the object.

Hope that helps.
~DVA

[1] http://struts.apache.org/1.3.8/struts-taglib/index.html Looks as
though you're using Struts 1, but you didn't specify a version, so
here's the last release's tag documents. If this is a new app, may I
humbly suggest you use Struts2 instead?  No sense in starting a project
using a deprecated framework.