Ok, the problem was that since 2.1.3 the filters changed:

org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.ng.filter.StrutsPrepareFilter
instead of ActionContextCleanup and
org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.ng.filter.StrutsExecuteFilter
instead of the FilterDispatcher.

Now everything works like expected. I will update the wiki of the sitemesh
plugin ..