Hi Paul,

I'm not 100% sure as I've never investigated this in detail myself. Now that you've mentioned it though, I recall another issue with Struts 2 leaving files open. It related to the FreeMarker template caching and someone had setup a task to monitor open file counts at run-time.

That would also cause the problem you're seeing and there's probably an issue in JIRA about that one too.

I rarely attempt to undeploy myself as the application servers run out of PermGen space eventually anyway requiring a restart. I prefer a reliable slow restart rather than a fast redeployment with an occasional failure.
Paul Benedict wrote:
Jeromy,

I wrapped a try/finally in the init and destroy method as you and the
ticket described, but there was still a memory leak that locked down
the Struts 2 core library. Are you sure these are the only things to
be done?

@Override
public void init(FilterConfig filterConfig) throws ServletException {
    try {
        super.init(filterConfig);
    } finally {
        ActionContext.setContext(null);

@Override
public void destroy() {
    try {
        super.destroy();
    } finally {
        ActionContext.setContext(null);

Paul

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 12:20 AM, Jeromy Evans