Paul Benedict wrote:
I can't see how this could be a Tomcat or Windows problem. With Struts
2.1.2 and setting antiJARLocking="true", I was able to undeploy.
However, the necessity of the option tells me Struts (or XWork) is
leaky somewhere and is not properly cleaning up its house. When
running under Windows, files are only locked when they are open, and
if Tomcat can't GC due to uncollectable references, then it's proof
there's a leak.

I don't think this problem should be ignored.

I agree, but it hasn't deserved the same priority as the numerous other S2 + Xwork problems because there's a reasonable work-around. If you can isolate it that would be great!

For me, the inability to release PermGen space (consumed by cglib others) overrules the need to re-deploy quickly because that kills Tomcat on any platform faster than an open file or unallocated resource consumed by S2.