Could you not do exactly what he is doing but instead of calling the .php
file you call your action.

As for the action itself, you would make it like any other action and just
store what you want to show the user into a variable with the proper
getter/setter function so in the jsp you can go:

<s:property value="VARIABLENAMEHERE"/>

The JSP would only contain that. I don't have time to create an example so
sorry but this should be enough info.