Hi Jim,
short answer: no, you cannot log into Syncope Console via the "simple"
REMOTE_USER header, as injected by a reverse-proxy as Apache HTTPD or NGINX.

Long answer follows.
When you log into Console, the credentials are used to obtain a valid JWT from
Core, which allow further REST calls; and, since Console implements all its
features by calling Core via REST, you can understand how much this can be
fundamental.

You have other options, anyway, at least two: configure Syncope Console as SAML
2.0 SP or OpenID Connect 1.0 Provider.

AFAICT there is a couple of relevant blog posts:

*
https://www.tirasa.net/en/blog/apache-syncope-log-in-via-saml-2-0-using-apereo-cas
* https://www.tirasa.net/en/blog/apache-syncope-sso-with-keycloack

Hint: please ensure to have some familiarity with SAML 2.0 or OpenID Connect
1.0 concepts before getting into Syncope configurations.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence