From: Richard Eckart de Castilho [r...@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2017 5:29 AM
To: user@uima.apache.org
Subject: Re: UIMA analysis from a database

On 15.09.2017, at 09:28, Nicolas Paris <nipari...@gmail.com> wrote:

> - UIMA-AS is another way to program UIMA

Here you probably meant uimaFIT.

> - UIMA-FIT is complicated
> - UIMA-FIT only work with UIMA

... and I suppose you mean UIMA-AS here.

> - UIMA only focuses on text Annotation

Yep. Although it has also been used for other media, e.g. video and audio.
But the core UIMA framework doesn't specifically consider these media.
People who apply it UIMA in the context of other media do so with custom
type systems.

> - UIMA is not good at:
>       - text transformation

It is not straight-forward but possible. E.g. the text normalizers in
DKPro Core make use of either different views for different states of
normalization or drop the original text and forward the normalized
text within a pipeline by means of a CAS multiplier.

>       - read data from source in parallel
>       - write data to folder in parallel

Not sure if these two are limitations of the framework
rather than of the way that you use readers and writers
in the particular scale-out mode you are working with.

>       - machine learning interface

UIMA doesn't offer ML as part of the core framework because
that is simply not within the scope of what the UIMA framework
aims to achieve.

There are various people who have built ML around UIMA, e.g.
ClearTK
(https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__cleartk.github.io_cleartk_&d=DwICAw&c=o3PTkfaYAd6-No7SurnLtwPssd47t-De9Do23lQNz7U&r=SEpLmXf_P21h_X0qEQSssKMDDEOsGxxYoSxofi_ZbFo&m=tAU9eh1Sq_D-L1P4GfuME4SQleRf9q_7Ll9siim5W0c&s=J1-BGfzlrX9t3-Vg5K7mAVBHQSb7M5PAbTYIJoh6sOM&e=
 ) or DKPro TC
(https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__dkpro.github.io_dkpro-2Dtc_&d=DwICAw&c=o3PTkfaYAd6-No7SurnLtwPssd47t-De9Do23lQNz7U&r=SEpLmXf_P21h_X0qEQSssKMDDEOsGxxYoSxofi_ZbFo&m=tAU9eh1Sq_D-L1P4GfuME4SQleRf9q_7Ll9siim5W0c&s=kye5D2izwKE_9V2QQW8leiKp0p-91U-CFwXJMFmCd3w&e=
 ) - and as you did, it
can be combined in various ways with ML frameworks that
specialize specifically on ML.

Cheers,

-- Richard