Actually, I have made some experiments myself and you may have success
with something like:

DocDocument.Doc doc = (DocDocument.Doc) XmlObject.Factory.parse(new
File("test.xml"), new
XmlOptions().setDocumentType(DocDocument.Doc.type));

to parse from the <element> level.

Let me know if this works for you,
Radu