I need to do something like this:

BookDoc booksDoc = BooksDoc.Factory.parse(xml, validationOptions);
Book book = bookDoc.getBook();
for (Author author:book.getAuthors()) {
        book.setMyCustomNumber(5);
        // how do I "save" this so the save method below gets a book
object where the myCustomNumber field is set?
}
bookDao.save(book.getAuthors());  //book.getAuthors() is returning books
without a custom number

what do I need to do so get()'s return the values I just set()....

is this even possible?

Jason

This is a transmission from Purdue Federal Credit Union (Purdue Federal) and is
intended solely for its authorized recipient(s), and may contain information
that is confidential and or legally privileged. If you are not an addressee, or
the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to an addressee, you are
hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, publication or
copying of the information contained in this email is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us by telephoning
(765)497-3328 or returning the email. You are then instructed to delete the
information from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.