Jason,

If you're schema contains 'myCustomNumber' element that your Book class
should have get/add/set methods for it and you just use them
accordingly.

If it doesn't you can still add it, it's a little more complicated, you
need to use the XmlCursor interface. See following link for how to use
XmlCursors:
http://xmlbeans.apache.org/docs/2.0.0/guide/conNavigatingXMLwithCursors.html .

Cezar