yes this is correct. we have sites that do cross data center
coordination by basically partitioning the data. the coordination data
that pertains to data center 1 will have a set of machines all in data
center 1 and perhaps an observer in data center 2, but all changes to
that data will be done exclusively in data center 1. then another set
of machines is setup in data center 2, with an observer or two in data
center 1. if you can partition your coordination data that way, then
this setup should work pretty well for you.

ben