A reconfiguration is treated similarly to other proposals for recovery
purposes (of course commit is different
in that it changes the configuration). You can see the paper
<https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/atc12/atc12-final74.pdf>
for details on how recovery works in principle, and if you have a specific
question please feel free to ask.