You're right, your interpretation is consistent with the documented
example, whereas mine is consistent with the text of the log line.  In that
situation, I always assume the documentation is wrong, but that's just an
assumption.  If you or someone else has time to look at the algorithm and
confirm how it actually works, we can update the wiki.  If not, I'll get to
it when I have time.  In the meantime, you should investigate the
conclusions from both algorithms, since you can't be sure which is correct.

I'd be interested to hear what you see via JMX.

Also every durable subscriber on a topic has a subscription message that
can't be GC'ed, so you're never going to get to zero files.  I think I saw
a recent JIRA enhancement to allow those messages to be replayed (into the
newest file) when there are no messages on the topic.  You might want to
search for that enhancement and confirm whether it's in the version you're
using, and upgrade if not.

Tim