If I remember correctly, you also can skip all the authentication checks by
starting JConsole (or JVisualVM) on the same machine as your broker,
running as the same user as the broker, and then selecting it from the
Local Processes list.  Sometimes that's an option, sometime it's not, but
it was in this case (you can see "activemq.jar start" in the screenshot).

Also, it's been a while since I've connected to a broker whose password
hadn't been changed, but I think the default credentials are admin/admin,
rather than blank.

Tim