The issue with the current LevelDB implementation is that it is not
stable.  There have been numerous bugs reported against it that have not
been fixed including corruption problems so it is not really usable in a
production environment. Originally it was intended to be the follow on to
ActiveMQ but it has basically been abandoned as there hasn't been anyone
who has shown any interest the past couple of years to fix it up so it has
been deprecated.

The link you have found is old as originally replication support was
planned for KahaDB but that was migrated to LevelDB instead and KahaDB does
not currently have replication.  However if you are ok with a shared file
system solution for high availability then you can use KahaDB.
http://activemq.apache.org/shared-file-system-master-slave.html .

If you are interested in replication support I would take a look at Artemis
(https://activemq.apache.org/artemis/), which you alluded to by mentioning
the ActiveMQ sibling project.  Artemis supports replication and is
currently under heavy development with the goal to ultimately have it
replace the current 5.x broker if/when the community decides it is ready.
So I would give it a shot and see if it works for you if you need a
replication.  I doubt that there will ever be replication added to KahaDB
as most of the active development is going towards Artemis at this point.