If you switch the configuration from LevelDB to KahaDB on local storage, do
both brokers start successfully? Without a shared filesystem they won't be
in a failover pair, but still, do they start and accept/deliver messages?
What about if you temporarily set up a database (e.g. SQLite, doesn't have
to be something expensive like Oracle) and connect both brokers to it? I'm
looking to determine whether the issue is cross-cutting across all data
stores or is specific to LevelDB.

I read the documentation[1] and now I see that start=false appears to be
required in order to allow the runtime configuration feature to
work properly, so disregard my earlier comment about that setting.

Tim

1.
https://activemq.apache.org/runtime-configuration#:~:text=Note%3A%20the%20start%3D%22false,location%20can%20be%20successfully%20resolved
.