The scripts you linked are for the broker's "home" directory. This is
different from the scripts used to start an actual instance of the broker
(which I previously linked). The home/instance model is described in the
documentation [1]. I just removed UseParallelGC from those scripts [2] to
(hopefully) avoid this same confusion in the future.

I think the counter issue you're observing is almost certainly unrelated to
your use of ZGC. I think you're safe to use ZGC.

Justin

[1]
https://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/latest/using-server.html
[2]