When deciding between the file-based journal on local storage versus a
remote database I think the three main considerations are:

 - Performance
 - Infrastructure
 - Reliability

The file-based journal on local storage will be faster than a database for
a few reasons:
 - The storage is local so there's no network latency to deal with.
 - The file-based journal was specifically written and heavily optimized
for the message broker use-case.

The file-based journal on local storage requires less infrastructure than a
database since most servers already come with local storage. Using a
database requires provisioning additional hardware as well as installing
and maintaining a distinct piece of software. This can be costly both in
terms of money and man-power.

Generally speaking, local storage is always going to be more reliable than
a remote database simply because it's much simpler (i.e. no network, no
database with its own maintenance requirements, etc.). This simplicity
tends to reduce downtime.

In my experience the only folks who choose to use a database are those in
an environment where there's already been a substantial investment in an
enterprise database and stuff like automated backups, redundant networking,
data replications, etc. are available.

No matter which option you choose, the broker is written so that you should
*never* lose messages.

Justin