So the software sending and consuming the messages is not something you (or
your company) has written but instead is something from a vendor? If so, do
you have the source-code for this product?

Unfortunately a list of libraries starting with "activemq" doesn't clarify
what the software is actually using.

Regarding upgrades...This seems like a false dichotomy. You can't really
get new features without upgrading. There's been over 30 releases of
ActiveMQ Artemis since 2.6.3 which have included 4,700+ commits to the
code-base. Those commits include bug fixes and features.

Couple more questions:

 - How are you sending the messages? Can you paste the code from the
producer? Also, what library are you using to send the messages?
 - Have you gathered any statistics from the queue where you're sending
messages (e.g. Consumer Count, Message Count, Delivering Count, etc.)? If
so, what did they show? If not, could you gather these before and after you
see the problem?

Justin