On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 7:02 PM, Antoine Toulme <anto...@toulme.name> wrote:

> For some reason, the JS community seems to prefer just trusting that new
> versions won't break anything. Its either very brave of them really (or
> maybe just foolish).

I think there is a few features that distinguish the js community wrt

* The libraries are untyped so don't fail to compile if something changes,
only fail at runtime if actually use the feature that changed.
* They have had semver integrated into their community at least in theory
from very early on where in java or ruby it tends to be up to each
community to follow or not.
* Their tools have supported semver from the beginning.
* Their libraries are usually much smaller, and people often write new ones
rather than reuse.
* The ecosystem has not really stabilized so if you are not constantly
updating you are probably running into other issues ;)

That said - I still much prefer fixed versions for stability, particularly
if you have to support it over many years.

Peter Donald