Oh, I see, ok.  Actually, upon further thinking, instead of wrapping
the in-memory
object graph in "SimpleHash" - there's an interface called
"TemplateModelIterator",
where, I think I could implement it such that the iterator returned would be an
iterator whose next() could return a "TemplateModel" representing the
current record and have a special end-of-group record that signals next()
to return null, thus closing the file.    I haven't tried that, but hopefully it
will work.

I see what you're saying about having a single client-side and
server-side template
language.

Thanks,

Chris